Lesia the Ukrainka
When L. Ukrainka came to Yalta she stayed at the hotel "Mariino" at
first (the building is not retained). Then she moved toEkaterininskaya Str. There the poetess lived in the annex at first, then
in the house itself. There is an exposition in this house now,
narrating about her life creative work in the Crimea.
Lessya Ukrainka visited the Crimea for the last time in
1907-1908. She lived in Gornyi avenue (now Ш3, Pavlenko avenue), in the
country cottage of the doctor Rozanov. On the facade of the house the
memorial plaque with the bronze bas-relief of the poetess is installed.
In Yalta Lessya Ukrainka created a series of verses "The Crimean
echoes", worked on a dramatic poem "Iphigenia in Tavrida" which remained
unfinished. She also translated G. Byron's "Cain" and W. Shakespear's
"Macbeth" into Ukrainian. Except her native language she had a perfect
command of the other 10 languages.
In 1872, to the centenary of L. Ukrainka's birthday, in front of
the museum a monument to the poetess was erected. Its author - the
sculptor G.N. Kalchenko gave the monument to the possession of the city.