The construction of Saint Maria`s German Lutheran Kirche started in 1775 and finished in 1885 after ten years. The building was constructed to the design by Yalta local architect of German ethnicity Gustav Schreiber. By the way, he presented for the future church one part of his own land in Yalta. Local legend has kept the name of the daughter of the architect - Mary. The harsh and extremely discreet Protestant style of this temple is in a big contrast with local Orthodox churches of that period. Nowadays you can see Lutheran Kirche in the same down town of Yalta on Chekhov Street. Yalta German community collected 17.000 rubles for construction, Russian Emperor presented 1.000 rubles, German Kaiser - 700. The building is relatively small, constructed with Neo-Gothic style. The facade was decorated by pointed belfry (which was destroyed in Soviet time). Before the bolsheviks (1917) in Yalta leaved several thousands of Germans. The German community was
the fourth in the Crimea after Russian, Crimean Tatar, Ukrainian and Jewish. When Hitlerist's Germany attacked Soviet Union in June 1941 all Crimean Germans were deported by Soviet power to Siberia and Kazakhstan. The church was renovated in 1993 after the collapse of Soviet Union.