The St. Alexander Nevsky cathedral was
built in 1891-1902 to the
design by Yalta town architect Nicholas Krasnov and Shapovalov, the interior trim was done
after the sketch by Kroshechkin.
The construction of Alexander Nevsky
Cathedral was realized by architect P.K.Terebnev. It was
erected in memory of the dearth in 1881 the emperor Alexander II from
hands of terrorists. The first stone in the base of the temple was put
in pawn by the widow empress Maria Fedorovna in the tenth anniversary of
City dwellers brought their mite. Engineer
A.L.Bertie-Delagard gratuitously carried out supervision of excavations.
Baron A.L.Vrangel gave a part of the ground under construction and
built a part of church at his own expense. Eleven bells were created in
Moscow on money of wine producer N.D.Staheev. The temple was consecrated
in 1902 at presence of the imperial couple. In 1909 P.F.Sobolev
arranged there electric illumination and city authorities supplied the
cathedral with electricity on holidays free of charge.
mosaic Alexander Nevsky's portrait on a southern facade was created by
A.Salviati. Krasnov supervised over works on internal furnish of the
temple and paintings of walls.
In the XIX-XXth centuries Yalta
became "the summer resort capital of Russia", and founders of the Yalta
cathedral of Alexander Nevsky fairly considered that the new temple
should become an ornament of the city, testifying to the future
generations about fidelity of citizens to the great beginnings with
which there lived Russian people.
At emperor Peacemaker
Alexander III cathedrals in honor of Sacred Alexander Nevsky who was the
heavenly patron of the lost emperor Alexander II were under
construction all over Russia.
Square in the perimeter, in two
circles, with five domes of different size, with a three-storied
belltower in one volume with a temple, with the open external galleries,
solidly thorough in the bottom part and it is easy come up in top, with
an abundance of characteristic Russian patterns from small
architectural forms-portals, decoratively issued forms. This project of
the future temple surprisingly reminded the best Moscow temples of XVII