may not possibly strictly impress you on its outward appearance, it
looks like an ordinary hill. But, having occupied a predominant position
above Korabelnaya Storona, it had become a key position of left wing of
defensive line during the defence of Sevastopol in 1854-1855. Loss of
the barrow had been a cause of the outcome of Sevastopol 349 days
At the head of the
chief path, on a small ground of a barrow, there is a coomon grave.
There lie the bodies of Russian and French fighting men who had been
killed in the last battle on Malakhov barrow in August 27, 1855, on the
349th day of defence.
On the grave the
French placed a large white marble cross with the inscription:
@September 3, 1855. They were inspirited by victory and united by death.
Such is the glory of brave men. Such is soldiers' lot".
war years the monument had been wrecked. It was restored in 1960
according to A.L.Sheffer's project.
Mark Twain`s Sebastopol description in his "The Innocents Abroad", Chapter 35, (1869) see here: