St. Clement Cave Monastery was founded in 8th cen A.D. Accordance of legend, it was cated by themself of Roman Pop Clement. He was a follower of Apostol Peter and deported from Rome to Crimea. Here he was died and buried.
In the area of Seavstopol there is Inkerman, a satellite town, construction and finishing material beigh named after it. This stone material has been extracted here since time immemorial, therefore the surrounding cliffs are pierced all over with catacombs. The Inkerman cave monastery is perched on the right bank of the Chornaya (Black) River where it follows into the Northern bay. Founded in the 8th-9th centuries by monks-iconworshippers who had fled from Byzantime, it comprised several churches and a complex of dwelling and utility caves. They all were interconnected and connected with fortress Kalamita by passages hewn in the rock. Fortress Kalamita, located on top of the rock, protected the trade port (Avlita) of the small medieval state Mangup. In the 15th century, inhabitants of Feodoro principality used Kalamita to do brisk traiding. In 1434, Kalamita was plundred and butned down by the Genoese, but Mangup princes restored the fortress anew. Just little later, in 1475, the Turks attacked the Crimea and captured the fortress and gave it a new name - Inkerman.
Need to say, that Catherine the Great, Russian Empress visited Inkerman in 1787. At 9 a. m. on May 2, the travelers started off from Bakhchisaray to Inkerman. During the dinner, which took place in a specially-built palace in Inkerman, the curtain all of a student slid apart, offering a view of the Sevastopol bay with 3 ships, 12 frigates, 20 small boats, 3 bombardier boats and 2 fire ships. The sight was very spectacular, producing a striking effect on all those present.